The Secrets of Longevity
Life expectancy is on the increase, yet we cannot take for granted that we will live a long and healthy life. Longevity involves many elements; from what we eat as fuel, to our mindset, our genetics and how much we move.
The average 45 year old Australian male is expected to live to around 82 and females until 85. So how can you make sure that you live a healthy as well as long life, avoiding disease and ill health later in life?
Here are some proven ways to protect your heart, skin and mind and live longer:
Eat the Mediterranean way:
Research indicates that following the traditional dietary habits and lifestyle unique to the Mediterranean region lower the incidence of chronic diseases and improve longevity. To eat the Mediterranean way choose;
- Primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
- Olive oil and canola oil over butter
- Add herbs and spices not salt to foods
- To limit red meat to once a week or less
- Plenty of fish and poultry
- To exercise regularly